If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen the weekly tradition my husband and I share – Pasta Sunday! It’s a comforting and delicious way to avoid the Sunday Scaries, cook dinner together, discuss the week ahead and kick off a night of fantastic TV. We change the menu every so often, but I always come back to this easy marinara recipe by Ina Garten, who I WORSHIP. It’s SO easy you literally can’t fuck it up. I’ve put my own spin on it, below, and promise if you make it for guests, they’ll bow down to your culinary skills. I’ll make this sauce and combine with browned mild Italian sausage, fresh pasta, and top with a dollop of burrata or a dusting of fresh parm.
Pasta Sunday Marinara Sauce
Makes 6-ish Servings
1 tbsp EVOO
3 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion
1/2 cup red wine
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the wine and cook on high heat, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan, until almost all the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 15 minutes.
- Blend in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.