Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with fitness and has everything to do with a boozy, delicious cocktail. For the sake of moderation and balance, okay?
I’m days away from hosting a holiday cocktail party and have been checking off my list of preparations slowly but surely.
Appetizers – check.
Decorations – check.
Festive playlist – check.
The perfect OUTFIT – check, check.
As prepared as I felt I was, I couldn’t shake a nagging feeling that something was missing. Then it hit me – the signature cocktail! The options seemed endless, but I quickly became discouraged as I leafed through recipes with too many calories to count or the overdone champagne cocktail…you know the one that leaves you with one helluva hangover.
After much deliberation…and with a little help from my friends at Wonderful Sweet Scarlett, I’ve settled on the perfect concoction. Wintery, unexpected and the perfect shade of pink.
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- Juice from 1/2 Wonderful Sweet Scarlett Grapefruits (maybe less if you prefer a less tart flavor)
- 1½-2 ounces vodka of choice (Ketle One for me)
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- Sprig of rosemary (optional garnish)
- Tiny dash of sea salt (trust me, seals the deal)
- Make a simple syrup by combining the honey and water into a small saucepan and warm over medium heat. Warm, but don’t simmer.
- Using a whisk, blend the honey into the water and remove from the heat. Steps 1 and 2 should take about 3 minutes.
- Juice the grapefruit, be careful to remove all the seeds.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice and combine grapefruit juice, vodka, lemon juice and .5-1 oz of the honey simple syrup – you won’t use all of it, take it easy!!
- Shake vigorously (this may be your only workout of the day! WERK).
- Strain into tumblers, martini glasses or champagne flutes and garnish with a 2-inch sprig of rosemary and a tiny, tiny pinch of salt.
As if this cocktail wasn’t sweet enough, Wonderful Sweet Scarlett is giving away one gift basket of goodies to a follower of The Four Percent! Just leave me a comment (prior to December 27th 12am CST) below for a chance to win. Good luck!
Homepage feature image via Silk n Soda.