Sunday Funday. What a great time. Laughing, drinking, and eating everything on the brunch menu with friends like you have no cares in the world. Now it’s Monday at 7am and you’ve hit snooze 3 times. Suddenly, you realize your body is laughing at you, “HA you’re gonna pay for all that.” Ugh. Head pounding with an apartment in shambles you have no clue where to start picking up the pieces of your life.
We’ve all been there, after all we have to LIVE and enjoy our lives!!! The hard truth is, if you play – you gotta pay, my friends. But don’t worry, recovery is around the corner! These tips are a good place to start getting your act together without the greasy food that we so often allow ourselves to have – “it’s okay, I’m only eating this processed crap because I’m hung over.” Please.
- Down water and two Advil, that’ll take care of the imaginary vice on your head. In addition to this take a multivitamin or a B12 vitamin to replenish what was lost the night before.
- Continue drinking water like a fiend all day. You’ll hydrate yourself and flush all that shiz out of your system. To really commit to your hydration efforts add in a little coconut water to the mix, you’ll get essential electrolytes and other nutrients to help your body feel its best.
- For an upset stomach ditch the ginger ale or other soda which often contains sugar and opt for peppermint or ginger tea. Studies have shown (and my personal experience can attest) that both can reduce nausea and ease stomach pain.
- Say NO to the Egg McMuffin and start your day with a healthy meal full of eggs, vegetables and fruit. Bananas, kiwi and spinach are FULL of potassium and electrolytes. Again, you lost a ton of these while you were enjoying those Moscow Mules, so make up for it. Eggs have something called Cysteine which breaks down the chemical that is responsible for that headache feeling which results from your liver breaking down ethanol in booze.
- “Hairing the dog” or fighting your hangover with more alcohol doesn’t actually help your cause (damnit!). Try a virgin Bloody Mary to reduce inflammation in your body – thanks, lycopene! The fructose and vitamin C will also help your liver get its act together.
Make yourself this anti-oxidant rich smoothie courtesy of FitSugar to start cleansing your body of all those toxins.
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and mix until smooth. Top off with an extra sprinkle of chia seeds if you wish.
Finally, force yourself to go to that spin or barre class after your 9-5 grind comes to an end (note: this will feel like the longest day of your life). You might feel like you’re going to vom ten minutes in, but when all is said and done you’ll feel better. Swear it.
Slight disclaimer, I’m not a nutritionist, but I do a really good job researching. If you’re so inclined read more here (and the related cited sources) for more dets.